Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Puppies make it through Weekend #2


It was hot this weekend, but we survived.  (At our house it usually doesn't break 90 degrees, but it definitely did this weekend.)  Today it was so warm that the puppies were uncomfortable.  So I moved them downstairs into Holly's crate until it cools off.  They were panting terribly, and I was concerned.  Puppies can't regulate their body temperature until about three weeks of age ...

Check out our Purple Girl.  Isn't she beautiful?  Purple Girl is definitely still the most adventurous.  She managed to get herself out of the crate into the family room this afternoon!


All of the puppies are quite big.  I took this picture last night.  Pink Girl was being a character.  I took the puppies one by one out of the whelping box and cuddled them.  They know my smell, and like being held and pet.  Pink Girl went to sleep in my arms, so I put her back in the whelping box, and this is the position she assumed.

Here's our Red Boy.  I am very interested in why all of the puppies spend about one third of their sleep time with their heads lower than their bodies, and about one third of their sleep time with their heads higher than their bodies.  Can you see Red Boy's facial markings?  Look at how his paws have changed color. 

Andrew is taking either Red Boy or Green Boy, depending on how their personalities develop.  He thinks he is naming his puppy Dexter.  Geez, I like the show Dexter alot, but naming a dog after a serial killer?  


Check out Green Boy's sleeping pose here.  He is trying to lay his head on the edge of the crate. Green Boy is going to be a gorgeous dog.  This puppy reminds me the most of Harley, both in looks and in temperament.  I am crazy about this puppy!







Check out Yellow Girl's pose.  Andrew took this picture Friday night.  He and Tanya held all of the puppies while they got caught up on their shows.  Yellow Girl is quite big, and is quite the nurser.  For some reason, this is Holly's favorite puppy (well, at least I think that is what is going on.)  Holly carries this puppy to whatever room I am in. She is conflicted -- she wants to be with me, but she wants her puppies there as well.  So I have to be very careful, and keep an eye on what she is doing.   The other morning, I was working in my office before going to work -- and all of a sudden there was this puppy squawking coming from the bed in my office.  Holly had carried Yellow Girl in, and had climbed up on the bed with her.  She had her legs wrapped around Yellow Girl, protecting her.  Yellow Girl has been carried into our bedroom a few times this week as well.

Look at Orange Girl!  Can you see all of her markings?  Orange Girl was the darkest puppy as well as the smallest puppy.  She is definitely changing color, and she is not any smaller than any of the other puppies.

I took this picture this morning. This is one of the reasons I realized the puppies weren't able to cool off.  Orange Girl is perched on the wooden railing that runs around the side of the whelping box, trying to get her body off the bedding below.  It was shortly after this that I moved the puppies.  

This is going to be a beautiful dog!

And speaking of beautiful dogs, check out Blue Girl.  She is plump, healthy, and get a load of how much she has changed color.  Blue Girl is so sweet.  Actually, they are all so sweet.  They smell so good, and they make the most adorable noises.  Here, Blue Girl had finished nursing, and she rolled over on to her side and passed out.

I have tried uploading several different movies I have of the puppies.  I wasn't able to, but I could about a month ago (Harley and his keys movie).  I went through all of my settings, to see if something had changed, I saw that they have a new editor, and that I needed to change to that.  Now having done so, as far as I can tell there is NO capability for uploading movies.  Bummer ...   But I am also wondering if this is why people have been having problems posting comments.  So -- please try again and let me know if it works!

Well, the puppies are doing great.  They are now just about 11 days old.  We probably have another week before their eyes and ears open.  It is really interesting the way their ears have been developing. Now they kind of stick straight out from their heads, because they are too short to lay down.  I imagine they will get larger, lay down flat against their heads, and then start to stand up as the ear cartilage develops.

I do believe these are the most beautiful puppies I have ever seen!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I can post commments without any problem. That is too bad about the movies on the blog. It would be nice to have it all in one place!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete